Saturday, June 19, 2010

China part 3... The REAL Big Buddha

Well, my trip in China was extended by five days, so you all get another post. This Saturday we visited the largest Buddha statue that you can imagine. It was a long day of subway and train rides, tram rides, and 140 steps up to the statue. Tiring, but worth it in the end. After we returned to our hotel, we ate at the best Japanese restaurant that I have ever been to.

Anyway, I should be home Wednesday... On to the slideshow:


Next to the toilet in the Bathroom is a small red button. I am assuming that it is for "Emergencies", but the translation says "Emergence". I guarantee that if ANYTHING emerges from the toilet, pushing that button will not be the first thing on my list.


The view of Buddha from the tram leading up to the monestary. You can see the "small" set of stairs leading up.

After climbing the neverending staircase, you are greeted by this view. There are some people in the photo for a size reference.


There is somewhat of a little town surrounding the Buddha and Monestary. It was a very misty day at the top of the mountain. It felt like you were walking around in a steam sauna.



The town even has it's own creepy monkey mascot. It looks like Curious George's dirty uncle.



I could tell you that the subway was crowded, but it would be an understatement.


Anyway... Here's to a long flight on Wednesday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You missed Father's Day! That sucks. Any new culinary adventures?

Peri said...

That Buddha is really cool. You've seen some amazing things. Get home soon!

Jason and Laura said...

Two father's days in a row that I have been out of the country. It is almost like I am avoiding it.

I have now eaten rabbit. It was kind of greasy. I also had a very tasty yellow watermelon.

My flight leaves in 23 hours... Not that I am counting.

Lise said...

Did you get to rub the buddha's belly for luck? How did you manage the trains without touching people?